Thursday, May 17, 2007

How to Define Success

Every single child in this program is also in school. We offer tutoring, learning how to work together and live life together. I’m interested in the picture as a whole.

So where these kids are at when they graduate? I don’t know exactly.

I know there was a point when I was giving a tour of the sanctuary, and there was a woman who came in with her kid. And she was listening to what I was saying about the place and what was happening, and I didn’t even know this woman. She was about twenty-three, twenty-four years old, had a kid. And she raises her hand and says, “ I don’t even know who this guy is, and he’s a part of Central City, and I’ve messed up with my life and had a kid when I didn’t want to, but this is the best place a child can come.”

Now if you want to define success by getting a college degree and all that, we have kids who will have that, we have kids who’ve gone to college. But these kids are living lives. It’s a place that works because they will become who they need to be. And that's very different from where they started.

CV

No comments: